Welcome to FMI
The Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics (FMI)
was foundedon 24 November 1889
as Physics and Mathematics Division to the first and most
prestigious university in Bulgaria - Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”.
Throughout his long story FMI was a spiritual center of higher education and research.
The mission of the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics at Sofia University is stated as
- to preserve, enrich and transmit the knowledge in the field of Pure and Applied mathematics, Informatics and Computer science as
- Educating bachelors, masters and PhD students in these areas;
- Developing scientifically these areas;
- Instructing highly educated and responsible young people - the core of the future Bulgarian science engine in the fields of Mathematics and Computer science;
- to be the national leader and an European center for university education in Mathematics, Informatics and Computer Science;
- to be a scientific center of European importance and international recognition.
The vision of the FMI in this endeavor consists of
- asserting its role as a national leader in educational and scientific terms;
- aspiring the educational curriculums at FMI to meet European quality standards and to be closer to the world's leading designs;
- providing conditions for obtaining scientific results and creating practical applications recognized by the international scientific community;
- working to promote best practices in the development, management and application of science for the purpose of public education, business and man.
In accomplishing its mission and realizing its vision, key objectives FMI sets are:
- high quality education and research activities;
- leading position in the quality of education offered through timely and adequate response to the educational needs;
- dignified presence in the scientific and research space in accordance with the international standards for research.
To achieve its main objectives, FMI gives students advanced training in professional fields Mathematics, Informatics and Computer science and Pedagogy of mathematics, informatics and information technologies by conducting regular and part-time education in the current subjects with professionally designed dynamic curricula and programs tailored to the needs of students and the labor market.
FMI conducts a high level education by preparing skilled staff for business and education - knowledgeable and capable, proactive and creative. Lecturers work actively and purposefully for giving a high-quality training, as evidenced by the success of the graduates of the Faculty at international competitions and Olympiads in Mathematics and Informatics, especially the good realization as professionals both at Bulgaria and abroad. FMI graduates are sought after footage of companies, banks and government institutions. They won recruitment competitions for university lecturers in universities and for researchers in research institutes. Many of them continue their education at prestigious universities in Western Europe and North America.
The aim of the training conducted at FMI is to that the students graduating the Faculty to gain a solid knowledge and skills to achieve effective professional and social realization. FMI prepares specialists capable of reasoning effectively and constructively with the motivation to constantly improve their knowledge and skills. Through active communication in an academic environment the future professionals build their attitudes and skills for creative thinking, lifelong learning, and working in dynamically changing conditions.
The teaching activities related to education promote the students innovative spirit and their desire for personal development. During their education at FMI they acquire skills to successful accommodation to a highly competitive environment. FMI maintains a level of training that ensures the mobility of students within the European Union and international cooperation programs. FMI successfully combines the training in professional fields with research and attract students to joint execution of scientific and educational projects at a national and international level.
High quality training is a result of the high level of scientific and applied research conducted at FMI, which are oriented to a wide range of problems of modern science.
FMI develop modern information infrastructure for teaching and research. Library of the faculty has a fund of about 80,000 volumes, including the oldest collection of mathematical literature on the Balkans. The computer labs are equipped with modern equipment and software, the building of the faculty has wireless internet.